1) Increase fiber intake by adding vegetables, fruits and legumes to your diet. Fiber will bind to toxins and eliminate them from your body. It also increases transit time and supports a balanced gut flora.
Especially pectin, a type of dietary fiber, aids in removing toxic metals. Excellent sources of pectin include apples, peaches and carrots.
2) Include anti-oxidant rich foods, which are high in Vitamin A, C, E, Zinc and Selenium. These nutrients will not only have a protective effect, but will also support your liver. Especially Selenium and Vitamin E have been found to neutralize the effects of mercury.
Best food sources:
- Take 1-2 brazil nuts/day to reach your recommended Selenium dose
- Vitamin C rich foods: Red bell pepper, oranges, kale
- Vitamin E rich foods: Almonds, spinach, sunflower seeds
- Zinc rich foods: pumpkin and sunflower seeds, legumes and grains
3) Glutathione, another powerful anti-oxidant, effectively detoxifies toxins such as mercury by grabbing onto it and weighing it down so it can be flushed from the colon.
Foods, which increase your Glutathione levels in the body:
Asparagus, broccoli, avocados, spinach, garlic and tomatoes
4) Detoxifying herbs to consider:
- Milk thistle - helps protect the liver from toxic damage
- Cilantro - known to be very effective for toxic metal cleansing
- Dandelion, artichoke leaves and turmeric - These herbs help to increase bile flow, which is one of the liver’s main ways of eliminating toxins.
- Nettle and burdock - known as urinary cleansers, due to their diuretic effects on the kidneys, which help eliminate toxins through this route.
Harmonic Arts Botanical Dispensary offers amazing herbal tincture blends, which include all the necessary liver and kidney supporting herbs for your detox treatment. Please check out their "Liver Tonic" and "Klear Kidney".