For those of you, who follow my culinary journey on instagram, know that I'm crazy about avcados and that pretty much every single meal is graced with my favourite fruit. So I thought it's time to share with you some cool facts, which you can use to impress your friends at your next dinner party:
- Avocado is not only a fruit, but more specifically a single seeded berry!
- They can only be picked by hand!
- Avocados contain over 20 different vitamins, minerals and 18 amino acids. In fact, Avocado has more potassium than three bananas combined.
- Unripe avocado? No problem! Simply place it in a paper bag with an apple or banana and it will ripen in no time!
- The most popular (and delicious) variety, the Hass avocado was discovered in Rudolph Hass' backyard in California in the 1930s...As if we needed another reason to love California?!
- During Cinco de Mayo, 14 million pounds of avocados are eaten across the U.S.
- Avocado varieties are divided into three main categories: West Indian, Guatemalan and Mexican;
- The Aztecs considered the avocado a symbol for love and fertility. ... I couldn't agree more with that!