We served this delicious, moist, satisfying Mediterranean Chickpea Socca at Katherine's Meditation in Motion Retreat at Nectar Yoga B & B on Bowen Island. Looking at this food heaven, it won't surprise you that there weren't any leftovers. :-)
for 4-6 people
- 1 1/2 cups freshly ground Grain's Chickpea flour (I used my Vitamix dry grains container)
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 bell pepper, cut in stripes
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, cut in cubes
- 2 gloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped thyme, oregano, rosemary
- Whisk the chickpea flour, water, olive oil, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Let it rest for a couple of hours or prepare it the night before to give the flour time to absorb the water.
- Sauté vegetables with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs in a pan over medium heat until tender.
- Once the batter has rested, add the cooked vegetable mix to the socca batter, mix well to combine.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF and place a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet or pie dish in oven while it preheats . Remove the skillet when the oven is to temperature, add about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil swirl around in the pan to get a nice even coating all the way around and up the sides a bit. Pour the chickpea-vegetable batter in the dish.
- Bake 30 minutes until the socca is firm, the edges are set and golden brown. Use a knife or toothpick and insert it into the center, to see if it's cooked. It's ready if it comes out clean, with no streaks of batter. Cut it into wedges, and serve hot or cold.
- Bon Appétit!